My teaching is informed by thousands of performances over the course of my career, in concert halls, theatres, clubs, festivals, coffee houses, colleges, schools, weddings, corporate events, musicals, live radio and TV, studio recording and more. I have performed in diverse styles, including jazz, rock, blues, swing, funk, classical, African and Brazilian-influenced worldbeat, Dixieland, and in conducted orchestras and wind ensembles. This rich performance background combined with decades of one-on-one teaching experience helps me quickly evaluate where you are as a player. I can customize and personalize your lessons based on what I see is missing or needs work in your technique and overall musicianship.
- B. M. in Jazz Guitar Performance, New England Conservatory of Music, 1978
- Additional studies at Berklee College in Music Synthesis and Songwriting, 1987-‘88
- Eastman School of Music, Jazz Studies (‘75-‘77)
- Jazz guitar studies with Mick Goodrick, Barry Galbraith, Charlie Banacos, Gene Bertoncini, Chuck Wayne
- Species counterpoint, composition and piano studies with Dr. Avram David 1981-1990, Craig Najjar, Sonny Kompanek
- Additional guitar/jazz studies with Jacki Byard, Jim Scott, Chuck Mangione, Brett Wilmott, Tom Rizzo, Robert Paul Sulllivan, Alan Hager
- Voice studies with Mark Baxter, Jan Shapiro, Pearl Layton
- U Mass Dartmouth (‘92-‘98)
- South Shore Conservatory (‘79-‘99)
- Najjar School (‘94-‘97)
- Northeastern University Summer Program (‘86-‘87)
- Private instructor at various private secondary schools (‘74-‘99)
- Private studio instruction (‘73-present)
- Jim Martin - Paul Shumsky Jazz Guitar Duo at Fox Hopyard Golf Club.
- The Jazz Circle Duo at Gabrielles Restaurant, featuring Matt McCauley on acoustic bass.
- Trance-organic-dance with John Sprague’s Dancing Worlds with drummer/percussionist Bob Weiner at Greenfield MA cable TV and other events in Western Mass.
- 700+ shows from Maine to Aruba with Boston-based, world beat band Wildest Dreams, 1989-2000.
- Leader & sideman: solo, duet and small ensemble performances throughout New England for private and corporate functions, clubs and coffeehouses.
- Musicals / Theater / Orchestral: A Chorus Line, Evita (with the National Theater Guild - New England tour); Three Penny Opera, Seven Deadly Sins, The Berlin Requiem (at the American Repertory Theatre); West Side Story, Jacques Brel is Alive and Well, Man of LaMancha, The Rink; concerts with the Harvard Wind Ensemble (Sanders Theater); with the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall.
- TV and live radio with Paul Shumsky Trio, Mark Kross Duo, Phil Wilson, Bo Winiker Swing Orchestra, Wildest Dreams, Gunther Schuller, Dancing Worlds
- “Wildest Dreams: One Voice!”
- “Wildest Dreams: “Peace Planet”
- Mohamed Kalifa Kamara : “Africa Unite”
- “The Bo Winiker Swing Orchestra” Golden Crest Records
- New England Conservatory Country Fiddle Band “One Hundred Years Of Country Dance Music” Columbia Records, Gunther Schuller, director.
- NEC Jazz Repertory Orchestra featuring Joe Venuti: “Happy Feet! A Tribute to Paul Whiteman” Golden Crest Records, director: Gunther Schuller
- Wendy Frank: “Human Nature - Environmental Awareness Songs for Children”